Monday, September 5, 2011

What Is The Right Thing To Do

There is one thing I consistently struggle with during this deployment...When to say something and when to keep my mouth shut and handle it on my own! You hear two opinions when your loved ones are deployed: 1. Don't tell them anything because it only puts unnecessary worry in their minds. 2. If you don't tell them then they think you don't care. Well, in my experience it has come down to what the information was. We had a instance this year when we had a family member involved in a serious motorcycle accident. Well, this is something that we wanted to wait and see what the outcome would be and then figure out the best way to handle it. Was he going to make it? What were his injuries? So on and so forth. But this is not something we wanted him to be thinking about, so, we waited until our family member was on the mend and then we told Dustin what had happened. But then I have the times when I am just struggling to not be emotional while I'm talking to him. Does he want to hear how much I miss him and how lonely I am or how stressed I am that day or how much I worry? I could go on and on. Fortunately for me, I have a husband who wants to know everything that is going on and he knows that he is my rock and if I can't vent to him then who can I vent to. So he says it makes him feel like he is connected to us.

But I think we are the exception, because I know most people don't want to know what is going on. But it is what gets Dustin through. If he can come to the computer and talk to me about the things going on here, then he doesn't feel so far away. As a matter of fact, we get lost in planning and talking about what's going on here, he sometimes forgets where he is. However, he is quickly reminded when he walks out his door and is greeted by a giant concrete wall.

So I would say, have the conversation about what works best for your family because there is no right way, no matter what anyone says. So stop, breathe, and remember...THIS TOO SHALL PASS!

No comments:

Post a Comment